“When we get too caught up in the busyness of the world, we lose connection with one another – and ourselves.”
- Jack Kornfield
No matter how careful you are to simplify your schedule, odds are good you’ll still have an occasional ridiculously busy day or week.
Maybe you’ve decided the busyness is worth it so you can take a class or visit with a friend. Perhaps you’re overloaded because a friend needed help with a home repair or a relative is in the hospital.
Whatever the reason for your full plate, remember, being busy doesn’t mean you have to be stressed. You can significantly reduce stress by taking only a few minutes out of your day.
12 easy ways to reduce stress
Below are a dozen ideas for quick ways to slow down. I know that sounds like an oxymoron, but it’s not.
You’ll be surprised at how much of a difference just stopping for a few seconds can make. None of these suggestions takes more than 5 minutes, and many take less than a minute at a time.
1. Meditate, pray or just sit in silence for 5 minutes.
2. Put stickers on several areas you’ll see occasionally throughout the day. Each time you see one, take a couple of deep breaths. Use removable stickers so you don’t create more stress trying to get them off later!
3. If you normally listen to the news on your commute, turn it off for enough time to listen to a song or two instead. Sing if you’re alone (or if you won’t disturb others).
4. Don’t sit at your desk for long stretches. Walk around a minute or two at least once an hour.
5. Breathe in through your nose and out through your mouth 10 times.
6. Drink a cup of relaxing herbal tea, such as chamomile.
7. Every time you get up to go to the restroom or head to the kitchen for a coffee refill, stretch for 30 seconds. If you’ve been hunched over your computer or paperwork, focus on your neck and shoulder muscles.
8. If you’re apart, call or text your child or significant other just to say “I love you.” If you’re together, hug them.
9. Give yourself a head massage.
10. Sniff a relaxing scent. I like lavender, but you may prefer sandalwood, vanilla, rose, or another relaxing scent. Light a scented candle or use an essential oil in a diffuser or on a cotton ball.
11. Take a 5 minute walk, outside if you can. Even a few minutes of fresh air is refreshing.
12. Savor a small piece of chocolate or other tiny treat.
Try to fit in more than one of these tips during the day if you can. I find using a few of these tips on my busiest days makes a big difference in my stress level.
The Blog of the Year Award is an award one blogger gives another. The way it works is, once you receive the award, you pay it forward, choosing one or more blogs to award.
I’ll use the bloggers’ own words to describe their blogs.
- Find a Simpler Life shares the author’s experiences relating to “the emergence of a simpler, happier life.”
- Minimalist on Purpose is “about focusing and simplifying life to discover our life purpose and affect lasting impact.”
- Joyfully Green is “for anyone who is looking to live a simpler, greener life, while enjoying a richer relationship with the natural world,” and has gorgeous photographs.
Please take a few moments to check out each of these blogs. I hope you enjoy them as much as I do.