15 Easy Ways to Celebrate Earth Day
Maybe you’re not ready to install a composting toilet or grow your own wheat, but you can celebrate Earth Day by taking some easy steps toward a simpler life.
These ideas help you save time and money, as well as help the planet. If you find the list overwhelming, pick one item to work on at a time.
1. Receive statements and pay bills online.
2. Unsubscribe from catalogs and other mailings you don’t want. You can also opt out of receiving phone books.
3. Keep a shopping list so you don’t have to make emergency runs to the store.
4. Let friends and family know you’d prefer to receive experiences instead of stuff for gifts. Perhaps you’d like someone to bake you cookies or mow your lawn. Maybe a gift certificate for a massage is more your style.
5. Don’t wash clothes that aren’t dirty. You can often wear outfits more than once before they need laundering.
6. Think before you run errands. For instance, would you save time and gas by stopping by a particular store on your way home from work instead of going on Saturday?
7. When planting a new flower garden, look for plants native to your area – that way you won’t need to water them.
8. Stop wasting food. Eat those leftovers for lunch the next day or a dinner later in the week.
9. Try to buy all (or least mostly) clothes that don’t need dry cleaning.
10. Instead of buying books, check them out from the library. If you choose to buy, consider second-hand or ebooks.
11. Wear your stuff out before buying new. Even then, think before you purchase – you may not need to replace the worn item.
12. Combine exercise with errands. That is, walk or bike to run your errands if you can.
13. Use a water filter instead of buying bottled water.
14. Mow your grass less often. Letting the grass grow a little longer actually builds healthier roots.
15. Print receipts, confirmation codes, etc. to PDF instead of to paper.
What do you do to save yourself time or money that’s also good for the environment? Please share in the comments.