“Life is uncertain. Eat dessert first.”
– Ernestine Ulmer
Not interested in spending all day in the kitchen, but want to offer some homemade sweets? Try these simple desserts that offer a personalized homemade touch but begin with boxed mixes or refrigerated dough.
- To purchased brownie mix, add marshmallows, chopped nuts, chocolate chips, chopped candy bars, and/or Oreo pieces.
- Top brownies (made with a boxed mix) with whipped cream or ice cream. Maybe even add some chocolate or caramel syrup.
- Or sprinkle them with powdered sugar.
- Bake sugar cookies from purchased refrigerated dough and decorate them with sprinkles and frosting.
- Or, before baking, use your thumb to indent the dough and fill the space with jam.
- Use canned pie filling and refrigerated pie crust to make mini pies in your muffin tin.
- Bake cupcakes made with cake mix. Frost them with canned cake frosting and add holiday sprinkles.
- If your guests love Jello, consider making a layered dessert (let one color set up before adding the next).
- Use heavy cream and frozen fruit to make a quick fool.
- Make a “dump cake” with canned fruit and boxed cake mix. This peach version is highly rated, but do an Internet search for other flavors.
- Have an ice cream sundae bar. Set out a few kinds of ice cream along with syrups, canned whipped cream, and various syrups.
- Make an Oreo icebox cake.