“Our experiences are a bigger part of ourselves than our material goods…. We are the sum total of our experiences.”
– Dr. Thomas Gilovich
While it’s not always true that an experience will bring more happiness than a tangible item, experiences often make us happier than stuff, and they undeniably have the advantage when it comes to clutter.
So when you feel like you need some retail therapy, try some of these experiences instead:
- Go to a concert.
- Take a class.
- Teach yourself a new craft.
- Visit a museum, zoo or aquarium.
- Go for a hike, swim or a bike ride.
- Take your canoe or kayak out on the water.
- Invite your friends over for a potluck.
- Plan a trip.
- Ask a friend out for lunch.
- Go swimming.
- Learn to cook something new.
- Learn to make your own beer or wine.
- Read a genre you’ve never read before.
- Learn a new language (Duolingo is a highly rated app, and it’s free).
- Learn to juggle.
- Start a garden.
- Introduce yourself to the neighbors you don’t yet know.
- Research the culture of a new country and try the cuisine, either at a restaurant or cooking it yourself.
- Visit the tourist spots in your city/town.
- Write a short story.
- Teach yourself how to do basic home repairs.